first off I suppose would be to pick a book?  Perhaps someone could act as
ballot box, and we could vote in confidence for one from among those books
suggested by members of the list, provided of course that all voters would
agree to contribute whether their choice is most popular or not.  This is
one way of doing it -- just get enough cash pledged to guarantee the book,
then take it to printers.  This seems pretty simple?  Chris's project is
separate and personal, right.  Does anyone know of a book they think
should be published?  I'm not sure it could happen, within these few
decades or so, any other way.  And I think it would be better this way
anyhow.  I'd gag at the thought of seeing my name packed onto a Faber
backdrop, and this is all good and well and very Bourdieu etc, but would
feel surely proud and as if in a real community of generous interest, were
it to appear on a book sponsored by members of this list.  I am not
suggesting any book of mine for publication, just making 'a point'.  it
would be a really affectionate testament.