FROM FRED BEAKE TO DOUGLAS OLIVER

Dear Doug,
          Thanks for yours via Douglas.

          The intriguing thing to me is that all the people you mention
were I think about when I was having a hard look at Modern French Poetry
circa 1975/6. I don't think you mention Dupin, who struck me as good, and
rather different to the rest.

           One point which I make with diffidence, but is true. I made
extensive attempts to translate both Deguy and Daive, and I came to the
conclusion they were UNtranslatable. Too rhetorical for modern English,
and lacking in the pictures that made Desnos and Char workable for me.
Looking at various translations I have lieing round this afternoon, I note
that a few bits of Albiach by Auster apart, I note the same groping for
an idiom that put me off. Perhaps things have changed since then. I hope so.

           Incidentally does anyone know what is happening with French Poets
born AFTER 1960. I ahve seen very little on this topic. Names, books, articles?

                  regards

                   Fred