George welcomes my answer but I'm not sure I can work out the question.
'Mapping Value' was written because it seemed possible - and it seems to me
it's rarely possible - to capature a moving target: how value is
constructed, how the processes of co-option work. I think it's important to
be able to record this because it enables one to avoid the bourgeois
argument - culture's a natural, organic thing, old chap - and the anti-estab
argument - it's all a conspiracy. Neither of those positions seem very
useful to me. George I think is asking why should we bother analysing how
the mainstream constructs its values and I think part of an answer is that
it enables us to think about how all value is constructed.