The received transcriptions of Dickinson's poems were arranged into lines
that squashed her music into 8 6 8 6 (or 8 7 8 6 or 7 6 8 7 or etc etc).
This would be something like ballad meter, or more likely, the meter of
the hymnals in use in Western Massachusetts in the middle of the 18th
century. Dickinson broke her lines over those divisions -- her editors put
the divisions back. Or so goes the current conventional understanding of
Dickinson, the dubiety of which I apologize for in advance.

So -- yes, the Yellow Rose of Texas, but also a number of Wesley's
melodies. I think the corollary is that Robert Frost's poem "Stopping By
Woods on a Snowy Evening" can be sung to Hernando's Hideaway.

Is it absurd to ask a question on the order of: who are the twins in John
Wilkinson's "The Speaking Twins"? What is he twinning, is it a kind of
double-consciousness? Pardon the inarticulation, I don't have the
vocabulary to talk about what he does yet, and wonder if I could draw on
the not inconsiderable resources of this list, especially with respect to
what holds that poem (and others of its genera?) together; if it is the
changing yet always parsable syntax, the variety of tones, agh, I'm lost
again. At any rate it seems important to say what is happening in this
work and how it differs from other serious (or not serious!) work.

Jordan Davis