David Kennedy's critical book hasnt turned up in Bath Waterstone's yet
but I looked out my copy of `The New Poetry'. For which I am grateful
as it was beside the copy of Don Patterson's `Nil Nil' I had been looking
for to confirm he is rubbish after his recent reading at Bath Music Festival.
The only poets in TNP I look forward to reading fresh books from are
Kathleen Jamie (cos she has such a marvellous unfettered talent) and
Robert Crawford who has so much potential but with his last two books
has been letting it all slip away. He hasnt yet learnt how to write
the longer poem. The other poets in TNP dont really interest me bookwise,
although I am tempted to buy the Selected of that brilliant standup
comedian Ian Macmillan, but I know that many of them are capable of
writing a good poem, eg David Constantine and a girl in the Bodleian,

The truth is that British poetry currently is very weak. Is Ric's
new WEsleyan Anthology to be of young American poets? That would
interest me very much. I just cant be bothered buying another British
book although I did pick up John KInsella's `Poems 1980-1994' yesterday
when looking for his `The Hunt'. But he is Australian. And I looked
for the American James Tate's Carcanet book which has been recommended
to me several times. But the truth is there is really nobody.
I am happier listening to Basil read `Briggflats' on vinyl.