Knight, Romer, Hofmann I havent discussed yet. Stephen Knights' first
book of poems didnt go down very well with me. One of these people who
is prpbably better off in a single poem than in a book. He is just clever.
Stephen Romer didnt interest me. Michael Hoffman has interested me a lot.
His way of doing things reminds me of the young Gary Snyder. But there is
no afeter-effect. I think his most interesting work is his complaint
against his father. But he has introduced a new note into English poetry.
How Faber ever agreed to publish him baffles me.

With all respect to Doug Oliver (The Infant and The Pearl) I feel that
there are only two poets standing out amongst the avant-garde in Britain
of the last thirty years. These are MacSweeney and Prynne. These poets
can be compared to any of the Mainstream to advantage. MacSweeney is only
MacSweeney when he rants on Sparty Lea and for Prynne you have the
cross-dialgue's which John Wilkinson recently categorised. I feel that
Prynne has lost out thru following Olson and negating the Romantic `I' but
that would not be avant-garde. Macsweeney seems to be in bad repute
for going populist and getting money from the Royal Literary Fund.
But I love him. I am from Darlington. He is all we have apart from
Ralph Hodgson.

I am just back from the pub so I will sign off now and head for my
coffee and listen to the cricket. Cheers.

PS But the avant-garde is only a very few people in a generation
and I dont consider myself a part of it, although it has always
fascinated me. May good come out of it.