In message <[log in to unmask]>, Ira Lightman
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>Hallo everyone
>
>I'm thinking of extending my current collage
>practice (of using words from other texts in
>new orders) and using whole sentences in collage.
>Does anyone know if that means I now infringe
>copyright? At what point does, say, a characteristic
>two-word excerpt "swart ship", say, infringe
>copyright, rather than "elbow of"? When you get
>nicked for it, guvnor?
>
>Ira

Bob Cobbing once told me that a case of alleged copyright infringement
in collage had been taken to court & the learned judgment was that it's
okay if used 'for artistic purposes'. Maybe somebody else knows more
about this case than I do. I'm sure it's okay to sail a swart ship if
you're that way inclined and we all know that poetry particularly in the
20th C is chock full of such borrowings which in some cases only
dubiously fit the 'collage' category. But I do know of a quite lengthy
sequence of fragmentary poems collaged from a Famous Romantic's
notebooks which remains unpublished because the collagist used a
1950s/60s edition of those notebooks & the copyright holder refused
permission. This seemed a bit severe to me since there was no question
of concealing the origin of the material - indeed concealing it would
have spoilt the whole idea of the project. I reckon anyway that
collagists should live dangerously, don't you?

Best,
--
Alan Halsey