revised draft:

                             FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

INFO: http://wearcam.org/nad.html

        NATIONWIDE PROTEST AGAINST SURVEILLANCE WITHOUT ACCOUNTABILITY:

Destruction of privacy and dignity by corporate chains to become a target of
some ordinary citizens.

An international coalition that includes artists, scientists, engineers,
scholars, and others is declaring December 24, 1998 to be "ShootBack Day"
(National Accountability Day).

                        THE SHOT SEEN AROUND THE WORLD:

At noon on Thursday, December 24, some ordinary people all over the world will
protest the growing and dehumanizing effects of increased video surveillance in
various department stores and other similar organizations that use video
surveillance. As high noon sweeps past various time zones, the shot heard
around the world will be that of clicking cameras.

Rather than protesting by carrying signs, or by marching, citizens can choose
to protest by going on shooting sprees, armed with their own photographic or
videographic cameras and recording devices.

Surveillance is not the exclusive domain of the Bigs:
ordinary citizens have the capability to dish out some accountability.

                            HOW MAY I PARTICIPATE?

All you need to do is bring a camera --- any camera --- to a place where video
surveillance is used.

                      HOW WILL I KNOW WHO I SHOULD SHOOT?

Taking pictures of the surveillance cameras will cause models to appear very
quickly for you to photograph. When you point your camera at their cameras, the
officials watching their television monitors will very quickly dispatch the
models for you to shoot. This is a universal phenomenon that happens in nearly
any large organization where video surveillance is used.

                                  RATIONALE:

We are often accountable for our actions. The Bigs keep us under surveillance,
whether we're just walking down the street, shopping, or sometimes even when
we're changing clothes in their fitting rooms (Phil Patton, Jan. '95, WiReD).

That's why Thursday, December 24th is National Accountability Day.  You can
participate by arming yourself with a camera, or other photographic or
vieographic instrumentation, and entering various department stores, and
other establishments that match the classic definition of totalitarian
(e.g. establishments that wish to know everything about everyone yet reveal
nothing about themselves).

Examples of totalitarian establishments are those in which we are placed under
extensive video surveillance, yet we are prohibited from taking pictures
ourselves. A goal of National Accountability Day is to challenge this
one-sided aspect of Totalitarian Surveillance.

Participants may also photograph or make videos of any illegal activity they
happen to encounter in these totalitarian establishments. Evidence of illegal
activity includes fire exits chained shut, and other forms of entrapment,
forcible confinement doors, and the like, which are potential fire hazards.

If groups of citizens decide to participate in unison, it could also
help to prevent, or at least document illegal theft or vandalism of
photographic equipment by the Bigs.

When we ask why we are under video surveillance, we are told by the Bigs that
``only criminals are afraid of cameras'', or we are asked ``why are you so
paranoid''.  However, ordinary citizens have the capability to allow the
Bigs to define themselves.

The camera can function like Hamlet's Mirror, allowing the Bigs to define
themselves within a Reflectionist context.

        PICTURES MAY BE SUBMITTED TO THE SHOOTINGBACK CONTEST TO BE
                         ANNOUNCED EARLY NEXT YEAR.

   Further information:
     * Interrogative art, cultural criticism, etc.:
       http://wearcam.org/art.html
     * The wearable camera (how to go on a lifelong shooting spree):
       http://wearcam.org/procieee.html
     * Light as well as a humorous look at darkness, the absence of
       light: http://wearcam.org/theory_of_darkness.html
     * Privacy issues pertaining to video:
       http://wearcam.org/netcam_privacy_issues.html

The_12hr-ISBN-JPEG_Project                 since 1994    <<<

> serial                ftp://ftp.wco.com/pub/users/bbrace <
> eccentric             ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/bb/bbrace <
> continuous           ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/bbrace <
> hypermodern         ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace <
> imagery online   ftp://ftp.pacifier.com/pub/users/bbrace <

Usenet-news: alt.binaries.pictures.12hr/ a.b.p.fine-art.misc
Mailing-list: [log in to unmask] / subscribe 12hr-isbn-jpeg
Reverse Solidus: http://www.teleport.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html

{ brad brace }  <<<< [log in to unmask] >>>>  ~finger for pgp