I agree. But the new registration system is somewhat discriminatory
against the newly qualified, regardless of gender. There's no guarantee
that recently qualified archivists will become registered in only
three years, unlike their predecessors. This is just the minimum and,
as you say, with irregular work patterns it takes a great deal longer
to actually put in the professional time. With more
archival posts being run on a contract basis, I very much doubt that
I will be eligible for registration in October 2001 - 3 years after I
graduated. If I do not find a permanent post, then this will again
make active participation in the scheme more difficult - some employers
may be more concerned with getting short term projects completed,
rather than worrying about my "professional development". Do any
business archivists foresee this as a problem, where often the
archive has a very low priority?

Apologies for going on about this - but as someone who is actually
going to have to participate in the PRTDS, I feel it's important to
stimulate debate about what is a very important issue.