It strikes me that the comment from Michael and the request from John are
merely different points on the same spectrum and raise the eternal problem
for the Archivist of security and safety of holdings as against the "right
to know". We had the Times article recently where we were told that the
plans for MI5 , MI6 and GCHQ were freely available at their respective
county halls, despite being marked "Confidential - Not for Public". Was
this a staff failing or a failing in law that required that these plans had
to be lodged with county hall in the first place? Perhaps we all have a
greater responsibility than we realise in dealing with enquiries and
identifying sensitive material. It certainly will not be made any easier by
the FIA!

Alistair Sutherland
Quintiles Scotland Ltd