The next seminar in the first semester programme of seminars of the
Manchester Centre for Statistical Science will take place in:

Room 1.09
The Mathematics Buiding
The University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchseter

at 2.15 p.m. on Wednesday 4th November.

The speaker is Dr Mark Broom, School of Mathematical Sciences,
University of Sussex.

Title: Evolutionarily Stable Stealing: Game Theory Applied to
Kleptoparasitism.

Abstract:  We present an individual-based model of a group of
foraging animals. Individuals can obtain food either by discovering
it themselves or by stealing it from others (kleptoparasitism). Given
that challenging for a discovered food item costs time (which could
otherwise be spent searching for an undiscovered item), attempting to
steal from another may not always be efficient. We show that there is
generally a unique strategy which maximises uptake rate; this is
either to always or never challenge others. For any combination of
parameter values, we can identify which strategy is appropriate. As a
corollary to this, we predict that small changes in ecological
conditions can under some circumstances (which we identify) cause a
dramatic change in the aggressive behaviour of individuals. Further
we investigate situations where searching for undiscovered food and
searching for potential opportunities for stealing are mutually
exclusive activities, i.e. success at one can only be improved at the
expense of the other. Using game theory we are able to find the
evolutionarily stable strategy for investment in these two
activities, in terms of the ecological parameters of the model.

The seminar will be followed by tea.  All those who are interested are
very welcome to attend.

Please note that full details of the first semester seminars are
available at:

http://www.ma.man.ac.uk/News/seminar.htm

Peter Foster
Dept of Mathematics