A statistician or epidemiologist is required for a novel project to identify
people at high genetic risk of cancer.  This project is based at the
Thames Cancer Registry, which collects information and data on all cases of
cancer occurring in South East England.

This project will identify all individuals registered in the Thames
Cancer Registry with more than one primary cancer.  Epidemiological analysis
will identify pairs of cancer sites with a more frequent clustering than
expected, which suggests a genetic etiology.

A copy of the advertisement, which appeared in the New Scientist last week
(18.9.98) is below.   Please reply to the advertisement as suggested, and
not to me, as I will not be in the office again until after the closing
date.

King's College London
The Guy's, King's College and St. Thomas' Hospitals' Medical
        and Dental School
Division of Oncology (Thames Cancer Registry)

The Thames Cancer Registry is the largest cancer registry in the United
Kingdom. It collects information and data on all cases of cancer occurring in
South East England and uses this for a wide variety of purposes concerned
with the provision of cancer services in hospitals.  We need a:

        Research Assistant/Associate - Grade 1B/1A

A mathematician/epidemiologist is required for a novel project to identify
people with a high genetic risk of cancer. This pilot project will be for
twelve months.  The appointee will need to liaise with people at all levels,
including hospital consultants, senior NHS and university managers.  You
should have good written and oral presentation skills and have at least two
years' postgraduate experience in a scientific/NHS environment

Salary 17,869 - 25,785 uk pounds p.a., including London weighting and
supplement, depending on qualifications and experience.  For further
details please send an A4 size SAE quoting ref: G/ONC/RO/422 to
Personnel Department, Medical School Office, St Thomas's Hospital,
Lambeth Palace Road, London SE1 7EH.  Closing date: 2nd October 1998.