Having become more involved in "communication skills", the point I would
add to the discussion is that much communication is marred because each
side brings, but does not recognise, its own background knowledge and
assumptions: how could they do otherwise?  In many everyday situations,
this is widely recognised - is it "a right" to march down a street, or is
is "fair" that one person gets paid one hundred times the rate of another?
When technical experts talk between themselves, or with high-status
outsiders, the situation appears to be reversed.  My (possibly smug, or
cynical) opinion is that in this context it can be a matter of pride not
to "appear ignorant", and there is evidence that society reinforces this
attitude - see, for example, the sneers in the press whenever a judge asks
in open court "What is a sex toy?" or "Who is Ronaldo?", which might be
perfectly genuine expressions of personal ignorance or simply an attempt
to establish that everyone is using a common understanding or assumption.
Closer to home, I (and many of you!) have sat through many meetings with
colleagues or clients who engage in long discussions about "computers",
"networks", "the Internet", "databases", "models" (statistical, not super),
"sampling", "significant results", etc. etc. - with most of the wrangling
derived from a failure to recognise assumptions (preconceptions,
expectations, fears, vague wishes, ...).

Hence the suggestions that there is a single "correct" definition of a
term like "multivariate" is doomed to failure.  It *is* used in different
ways in different contexts.  In a calm, rational arena, you might hope to
preface a discussion with a definition, "By multivariate I mean ... which
implies ...".  In a sensitive area, this is a recipe for being put down as
a pedant.  If you don't believe me, start a pub discussion about switching
to a common European currency, but say you need first to establish what we
mean by "money" (in the economist's sense).

R. Allan Reese                       Email: [log in to unmask]
Associate Manager                    Direct voice:   +44 1482 466845
Graduate Research Institute          Voice messages: +44 1482 466844
Hull University, Hull HU6 7RX, UK.   Fax:            +44 1482 466846
  Hull: a 1st Division University (Daily Telegraph, London 20/8/97)