Following strong representations from CVCP and HESA, as well as
individual vice-chancellors, the Sunday Times have agreed to reduce
considerably the data they are requesting directly from universities.

We urged them to postpone the project.  However, they are determined to
continue with it, although they will be extending the deadline for
information could be obtained from public sources in order to seek from
universities only that information which could not.

Vice-chancellors and principals will shortly receive a further
communication giving the Sunday Times revised position.  In outline,
they will obtain from published HESA and UCAS sources all the data they
need for parts II, V and VII of their original survey questionnaire,
except for the question on % of entrants through clearing, and they have
eliminated some questions altogether.

It is of course a matter for each institution to decide whether, and to
what extent, they are able to respond to the Sunday Times' revised
request for data when they receive it.  Whilst I recognise that many
universities would prefer that the ST not continue with this project, it
is clear that they will be publishing a feature and league tables in
early November, based on the data they collect.

We have again pointed out the inappropriate timing and requested that,
if they intend to repeat the exercise next year, they allow much more
time for its preparation.  By that time, UCAS will have established its
database service for publishers and should, along with HESA, be able to
supply most of the data that the Sunday Times, and other publishers,
require for such projects.

Barry Jackson
Corporate Affairs Director
CVCP