Liz
At Newcastle we also use the Red Cross.  I write to the British Red Cross
Volunteer Co-ordinator for the area, prior to each set of ceremonies,
requesting the services of two volunteers at each Congregation.  They are
extremely reliable and the volunteers come equipped with first-aid kit and
wheelchair.  They charge ten pounds per volunteer per day.
Fran

At 10:42 15/09/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Dear all
>
>I think this has been discussed before but I can't find anything in
>the archives so I assume it was more than two years ago.
>
>I'm interested in finding out how colleagues provide first aid cover
>for graduation ceremonies. We have tried to get St John Ambulance to
>attend several times but they have difficulties getting volunteers
>for weekdays. We have relied on staff volunteers and security
>officers who have been trained in first aid but I feel that we need
>more professional provision (our ceremonies are all on-campus).
>
>I have been in touch with a private first aid company, First Aid
>Services of Nuneaton who will charge 85 stlg per day per first aider,
>plus mileage. That sounds very reasonable to me, but does anyone else
>use a private company that they could recommend, or have any other
>tips?
>
>Many thanks
>
>Liz Petley
>Elizabeth Petley