The same issue has arisen here of course, and I contacted
the Canadian authorities with the same kind of response.
Their reply essentially said that if we couldnt comply with
their requirements, Southampton will be removed from the
list of "prescribed universities which would preclude
Canadian donors from making tax-deductible contributions to
the institution".

I'm not honestly sure what this really means in practice;
does anyone else? has anyone raised the issue with the CVCP?

Mike Smears.
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:05:45 +0000 Donald Cattanach
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Has anyone else had a request from Revenue Canada (Canadian Inland
> Revenue) for a list of names, addresses and SSNs of all Canadian
> students who have attended here over past 10 years?
>
> If we do not comply, then our institution will be removed from the
> 'prescribed list' and Canadian donors could not therefore make tax
> deductible contributions to the institution.
>
> I replied in July pointing out the Data Protection Act restrictions
> and our institutional policy on disclosure but have had a reply
> assuring us that they would not divulge any information we sent.
> Not quite the point.  Have checked with the Data Protection
> Registrar's office and been told that without  the students' consent,
> we cannot divulge this information because our registration under the
> Act doesn't permit such a disclosure.
>
> Donald Cattanach

> Donald Cattanach
> Director of Registry, The University of Edinburgh,
> Old College, South Bridge, Edinburgh EH8 9YL
> Tel: 0131-650 2225   Fax:  0131-650 8223
> WWW: http://www.registry.ed.ac.uk

Mike Smears