We have two smallish ceremony halls here at Southampton, and over 4.5
days this coming July will be holding 27 ceremonies (6 ceremonies per
day, alternating between the halls).  Makes the organisational
administration heavy but the benefit to students is that we can break
down the ceremonies into smaller Department/ceremony groupings within
Faculties, giving a "family" atmosphere.

The Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor between them preside at all the
ceremonies, sharing the duties, but with the Chancellor generally
presiding at most of them.  However, the VC usually attends if he
can, even if he is not presiding officer for a particular ceremony.
Our Pro-Chancellors and Deputy V-Cs can by statute also preside if
required, although to date, the Chancellor and V-C currently share.

I'm not aware of of any complaints from students about whether the
Chancellor or Vice-Chancellor presided at their ceremonies.

Eileen Norman
Eileen Norman
Graduation/Public Lectures Office
Academic Registrars Department