-----Original Message-----
From:	Chris Royle [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:	19 May 1998 15:18
To:	'acb mailbase'
Subject:	Phlebotomy and phlebotomists

I'm sure that few would disagree that if we don't get the right sample, of good quality, at the right time, from the right patient, then all our fancy analytical machines and techniques might as well be consigned to the dustbin. We all tend to take phlebotomy for granted, only stopping to think about it when the wrong sample has been taken for GHb or the samples have not been labelled correctly.
Ironic then, that the people who perform phlebotomy are often paid the least, work in difficult conditions, often with difficult people (and I'm not only talking about patients!!) in less than ideal surroundings, performing a task which is much undervalued.
I am trying to gather information on phlebotomy and phlebotomists, e.g.
Who manages phlebotomy? The "lab.", Haematology, Patient services, "OPD", Nursing or someone else?
What salary scales are phlebotomists paid on, e.g. MLA, Trainee BMS, A and C or ad hoc scales?
>From what backgrounds are phlebotomists recruited from and what formal qualifications (if any) are specified.
Training and education. Who does this and how is competence assessed?
Are there any National guidelines?
There is lots of info. on the Internet re. phlebotomy training in the USA. Is there anything here in the UK?
 Any info., ideas, suggestions, experiences would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Chris Royle
Lab. Manager, Clinical Biochemistry / Haematology Department.