Dr. M. Steiner wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
> I recently came across the statement that adverse effects of heparin
> include elevation of serum transaminase(s). As I have no first-hand
> experience (I simply never looked into this phenomenon), I would
> appreciate any comments on the follwong questions:
> 1. Is this a common finding or is the evidence rather from case reports?
> 2. Do ALAT and/or ASAT activites rise?
> 3. Are there any ideas on an underlying mechanism?
> 4. What is the natural course of the elevated enzyme activities after
> cessation of heparin therapy?
> 5. Do unfractionated and LMW heparins have the same potential to cause
> increased transmaninase(s) activities? Is the effect dose-dependent?
>
> Thank you for your input.
>
> Dr. med. Michael Steiner
> University of Rostock
> Institute of Clinical Chemistry & Pathobiochemistry
> Ernst-Heydemann-Str. 6
> 18057 Rostock
> Germany
>
> fax: +49/381/494-7672
> email: [log in to unmask]
ANSWER:
There are at least 12 scientific reports concerning the increase of
transaminases after heparin therapy.For details please see my web-site:
http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-12360/ or
http://www.pharmasoft.se/index2.html
The 8th edition of the book "Drug effects in clinical chemistry" will be
published in 1999.
With kind regards

Nils Tryding
E-mail: [log in to unmask]