-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Gray <[log in to unmask]>
To: Mike Collins MSc FIBMS <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, October 22, 1998 22:56
Subject: Re: Reporting serum potassium in haemolysed specimens

>Incidentally is it (just) a sign of old age or are junior medical staff
>becoming worse at phlebotomy as they now have so many assistants to take
>blood. ?  Our out-of-hours samples are now generally atrocious, small
>and frequently haemolysed.

I agree - When it was decided that Juniors were no longer to have to do the
bloods round I wrote to the JDC [who were negotiating the NewDeal, or
whatever it was at that time] and complained [I was an SHO at the time] but
they ignored the argument that to get good at taking blood from difficult
patients you had to get plenty of practice on easy ones.

TIM
FROM:
Prof. Tim Reynolds,
Prof. of Chemical Pathology, Queen's Hospital, Belvedere Rd.,
Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, DE13 0RB, UK.
fax       +44 (0) 1283 593064
phone  +44 (0) 1283 511511 ext. 4035
email: [log in to unmask]