Date sent:      	Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:55:59 +0200
Subject:        	Clinical Problems in Office Practice
From:           	[log in to unmask] (Sten Ohman)
To:             	[log in to unmask]
Send reply to:  	[log in to unmask] (Sten Ohman)

An opinion as requested :

There isn't much evidence that many of the tests we already do contribute to
outcome - where is the evidence that patients would gain from free-market
access to the other "8000+ methods"?

The answer to the question below is "very often". However, most of these are
due to failure to request the ordinary 100 or so tests we do or failure to think
about the patient  --- not lack of access to tests. The real question is "How
many delayed diagnoses of treatable disease are due to failure to request a
specific  very unusual test?" We don't seen too many of these, and even here I
don't think a free-market physician driven process would necessarily improve
matters for either patients or taxpayers.