I would like to thank all who sent very helpful replies to my
request for information about the use of tests in the recruitment of
library assistants.

Clearly many libraries are using basic tests  of filing/sorting
ability involving cards or trolleys of books, while two institutions
who responded use a battery of tests including, for example, finding
out whether a book is in stock, telephone answering, an initiative
test and group discussion.

It appears that my enquiry has offended some who felt that I implied
some disrespect to existing library assistants.  Nothing was further
from my thoughts.  This library like all others depends on the
skills of its library assistants and we want to ensure we continue
to recruit the best.  I apologise if careless wording implied
anything else.

Thank you for your help,
Stephen Drake

===================================
Stephen Drake  Resource Management Librarian
University of Ulster at Jordanstown
Shore Road
Newtownabbey
Co Antrim