Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the extremely useful replies to the question we
asked previously about the possibility of converting to LCSH at the
London Library. I have another question.

At the moment we file our 600's, 610's, 611's in the author/name
index with the 100's,110's and 111's, the 640's we file in a
uniform title index and the 645's we file in the title index with the
245's. The idea behind this is to collect together books by and about
a person etc. in the author/name index, the traditional practice in
the London Library. So that the user of the catalogue can find all
books by or about a person in the same place in the catalogue.

I was wondering if this practice was widespread or if as I suspect
most libraries file anything in a 6xx in the subject index as it is
logically the subject of the work. I was also wondering if
experienced users of LCSH could foresee any problems for us if we
continue with our present filing practice but switch over to LCSH.

Any replies gratefully received,

Robert Atkinson
Deputy Chief Cataloguer
London Library