re Ian Winships's message:

> You might be intrigued to learn from Eva Pascoe's column in yesterday's
> Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/net/980810ne/story2.html)
> that many UK universities are blocking access to US Internet sites since
> network charging came in last week and so limiting students information access
> to 'the Web sites of their local rag and a list of country walks in the Lake
> district'!.
>
> This was news to me - I have mailed her suggesting her article is misleading.
> Is anyone really blocking access?

A pinch of salt is required here!
For the University of Edinburgh's policy see their Computing Services
homepage at:

http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/bits/1998/August_1998/item2.shtml

Basically it involves switching to access via proxy caches - but it did
worry us library types when we first heard of it!

Keith Taylor
Law & Europa Library
University of Edinburgh
Old College