In message <[log in to unmask]> on Thu, 18 Jun 1998,
Reference Library <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Are there any Reference Librarians out there who are experiencing
>problems with crossword enquiries?

When I was at the Science Museum Library some years ago we generally
took the approach that if a question was clearly identifiable as a
puzzle or competition question we would supply the answer if we could do
so very easily (thus promoting the library's information service). If it
would take some investigation we said that we did not have the resources
to do this but would give any necessary help to the enquirer if they
wished to come in and use the library themselves (thus turning the
question into an educational experience in techniques of finding
information). A similar approach was taken for homework questions and
"projects".

The policy may be different now.

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants                 Tel: +44 181 372 0092