Dear Nuala,

My previous post was in FE and I was subject librarian for Travel and
Tourism, Visual and Performing Arts, Health Studies, and Sports and
Leisure. I went to Academic Board meetings for those subjects, but as
the library tended to be the last (and least urgent!) item on the agenda
we also had a system of meetings with Course Team Leaders to discuss
matters specific to the library. This worked well since it gave both
sides more understanding of the other's role and expectations.
I devised hands-on library inductions (including the use of computers
and CD-ROM databases) aimed at specific subjects, so that students were
learning library skills relevant to their courses, and also gave
occasional workshops on preparing and presenting written projects (this
is an area which could have been developed further).
All lecturers were sent a memo asking for their comments and
suggestions;  they were invited to inspect the library stock in their
subjects, accompanied by a Librarian (this tended to happen on an
informal basis), and we distributed publishers' catalogues for
suggestions for purchase. We also asked for stock suggestions with as
much notice as possible, for student assignments etc., and requested
lecturers to deposit copies of assignments with us so that I could put
relevant materials on short loan or reference (some lecturers were more
co-operative on these last two points than others!).

I hope some of this is of use to you

Peter Jennett