medical! Clearly attitudes counted in this instance.

Date:          Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:25:12 +0100

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice or if anyone has had any
relevant experience of a profoundly deaf student wanting to do a
Radiography degree.  The department are worried that she may not cope
on Clinical Placement.  They are worried that whilst on ward she may
not be able to hear patients calling out and that she may also find
it difficult in  the operating theatre.

I have discussed the possibility of using a vibrating pager or non
medical helper - can anyone offer any other advice?

I understand that all students need to pass a medical to take
this degree anyway, but I am not sure whether their level of hearing
is tested.

Any comments/ideas would be appreciated.

Anita Lo
University of Salford