Dear list,
Has anyone of you come across the following 1770 - marriage law:

All women of whatever age, rank, profession, or degree, whether
virgin maid, or widow, that shall from now and after such Act impose
upon, seduce, and betray into matrimony any of his Majesty's subjects
by means of scent, paints, cosmetics [... etc.] shall incur the
penalty of the law now in force and that the marriage upon conviction
shall stand null and void ?

I've found it quoted by Ralph M. Wardle in his 'Mary Wollstonecraft:
A Critical Biography', p. 136. Mary Poovey quotes it in her 'The
Proper Lady and the Woman Writer'. I've searched most of the legal
sources of the eighteenth century but the above mentioned law wasn't
cited or even referred to in any. Does any of you know where to find
it?

Many Thanks,
Jumana Al-Dahhak (PhD student)
School of English - University of Leeds