Thanks,
Peter Quartermain

You mention -- interpretation should be free enterprise. Not a monopoly of
the author. Free enterprise? Monopoly?

Could you please expound on the implications of this (I presume) metaphoric
language? In what sense are we producers and consumers? this a capitalist
model of poetry you propose, or what?

The speaker of a poem often restricts interpretation of the poem by his/her
reading of the poem. Personal choice decides what to emphasize. A selection
process occurs that the reader does not participate in.

(The poem is the middle ground. Not owned by the poet. A piece of real
estate that is community property. And therefore, interpretation/meaning is
not solely the sovereign of the author.)

The voice's turn and tone, stressed syllables. The pauses that the reader of
a poem inserts are not perhaps the choices the reader would apply.
Subjectivity is suddenly a component.

This is not to say that the poet who reads his/her work has not something to
offer an audience. It just implies the outloud reader may interpret in an
entirely monopolistic manner the various nuances of a poem.

There is a vast difference to poems read aloud versus those read. The
methodology of the inner self, (the secret self) which the reader is not
fully aware of. This private self so deeply within each of us it would seem
participates less when hearing a poem read aloud, than when the poem is
encountered on the page.

This a difficult point to make, Peter. But all of us are aware of the secret
self. Some of us know something about it. The subconscious. That brief
encounter perhaps only a brush with it. The poem itself perhaps more given
to showing itself in that inner light which beams up when we read/hear a
poem.

(Because the poem may contain the secret inner self of the author, it is
perhaps estranged the author. Not discernible. Can we see/hear ourselves as
others see/hear us? What part of us shows when write/read a poem which we
cannot/will not see?)

For me, revelations of a literary nature are most intense when I read.

Ernest Slyman
HomePage
www.geocities.com/soho/7514
email: [log in to unmask]