> From:	OMEGA::SMTP%"[log in to unmask]"     9-APR-1998 10:18
> To:	[log in to unmask]
> CC:
> Subj:	new or not?
>
> I've had an enquiry from a student and would be grateful for views.
>
> She did most of first year in 1996/97 at one ( not very far from here)
> university, but didn't like the course, so withdrew in third term,
> returning that term's grant cheque to SAAS ( she is an independent student
> and got the full grant). She did not go into suspension so there was no
> indication that she intended to return to Paisley ( there, I've said it!).
> She checked with SAAS who told her in 1997 that that year would be a false
> start and she would receive full funding if she undertook a new course in
> the future. She wants to come to strathclyde in the autumn and has been
> accepted. However in light of the new arrangements she checked again with
> SAAS who have more or less said  all deals are off and she's a new student.
> I think they're right, it would have been different she'd taken suspension.
> But of course at that time she and we didn't know the implications of her
> decision.Her contact with SAAS has all been verbal.
>  Any ideas folks?

     Lin - It would appear that she abandoned her previous course without
     putting any transfer in place so I agree she would be regarded as a
     new student.  You say she withdrew from previous course in third
     term. If that means that her attendance was more than 20 weeks I
     cannot see that she would be entitled to a mandatory award at all!>

> I have also been asked by a parent who has triplets (!?) coming to
> university this year and has a fairly high income - tuition fees : will it
> be =A31000 x 3 or =A31000 divided by 3. Oh I can't even begin to get my head
> round that - I'm off to roll my easter eggs.....

     I don't think this is like a Boots offer - 3 for the price of 2!  All
     three will be receiving tuition so all three will be liable to pay
     the full tuition fee.  The maximum parental contribution is 6,125 so
     yes they could, depending on income, be paying 3x1000 fees plus 3x810
     maintenance, total 5430 (reflecting an approximate residual income of
     K60.  Potential parents considering fertility treatment should
     consider this!

>Sybil Green
     Cardiff University

     Sudden thought - as the Scottish regs are slightly different, does
     this affect anything I've said above?