The two test approach seems to be an acceptable practice:
Example, TSH  and/or followed by a free hormone test (if necessary).

The efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the two test approach are
significantly improved when a system (LIS + Random Access Automated
Analyser + Bar Code Technology) which allows for reflex testing is
employed. The need to save and/or retrieve specimens for the follow-up
tests is greatly reduced.

David Acheampong-Mensah
Clinical Biochemist
LabMed Consulting Inc.