Dear Christoph,

	Thanks so much for the fine versions of James' sermons--they should
be of great help when it comes to final citations in footnotes, etc.
The thesis is going slowly, and teaching takes more time than I ever
thought it would.  Will you going to Leeds?  I heard from Jonathan
Phillips that he took unfair advantage of you and asked you to do a
paper on Bernard of Clairvaux for his sessions on the Second Crusade
after a few pints. ;-)

The indulgence session has finally materialized.  It looks as if it
will be a good session-- a general paper on the historiography of
indulgences followed by Theresa on pilgrims and indulgences and yours
truly with crusading indulgences and Peter the Chanter's circle.

Many thanks for the offprint--it's truly amazing how long crusade
historians have studiously ignored addressing that aspect of the
crusading movement.  How goes the book? Planning on Jerusalem for 1999
or Innocent in Rome for 1998?  Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and
Happy New Year,

Jessalynn Bird