In North America, there is an increasing sensitivity towards digging up
and handling Native American bones and religious artifacts.  This is in
part due to an increased sensitivity towards the oppression of American
Indians and the destruction of their culture.  Are there any qualms in
Europe about digging up graves, tampering with grave goods, or opening up
church crypts?  Such practices were part of the cult of saints, but do
more recent diggers have respect for the mortal remains of past bishops?
I wouldn't want someone to dig up my granny, or to lift her rings or
anything else from the grave, only to stuff them into a museum's drawer.

M. Cels
Toronto