I'd appreciate information on the Great O Antiphons. Below are O Sapientia,
O Radix Jesse, O Clavis David, O Oriens, O Rex Gentium, O Emmanuel, and
tomorrow in Sarum is O Virgo Virginum, O Virgin of virgins, how shall this
be? for neither before thee was any like thee, nor shall there be after:
Daughters of Jerusalem, why marvel ye at me? the thing which ye behold is a
divine mystery.
What is the date of their liturgical origin? And place from which they
emanate, etc.? Am seeking this information in relation to the XV Os of St
Birgitta, and Julian of Norwich's use of both the Advent, O Sapientia, and
her awareness of the XV Os, the latter not being in her style, though used
by her as a loose structuring principle. Also would appreciate an
explanation of Sarum versus current usage, which lacks this last one, O
Virgo Virginum?
Blessings this Advent-tide,
____
Julia Bolton Holloway, [log in to unmask]
Hermit of the Holy Family
via del Partigiano 16, Montebeni, 50014 FIESOLE, ITALY
http://members.aol.com/juliansite/Juliansite.htm

O Wisdom, which camest out of the mouth of the most High, and reachest from
one end to another mightily, and sweetly ordering all things: Come and teach
us the way of prudence.
O Adonai, and Leader of the house of Israel, who appearedst in the Bush to
Moses in a flame of fire, and gavest him the law in Sinai: Come and deliver
us with an outstretched arm.
O Root of Jesse, which standest for an ensign of the people, at whom kings
shall shut their mouths, to whom the Gentiles shall seek: Come and deliver
us, and tarry not.
O Key of David, and Sceptre of the house of Israel; that openest, and no man
shuttests, and no man openeth: Come and bring the prisoner out of the
prison-house, and him that sitteth in darkness, and the shadow of death.
O Day-Spring, Brightness of Light everlasting and Sun of Righteousness: Come
and enlighten him that sitteth in darkness, and the shadow of death.
O King of the nations, and their Desire; the Cornerstone, who makest both
one: Come and save mankind, whom thou formedst of clay.
O Emmanuel, our King and Lawgiver, the Desire of all nations, and their
Salvation: Come and save us, O Lord our God.