Kristine,

You'll receive much more information on this.  The best modern introduction
is probably Michael Casey's Sacred Reading (St. Louis: Triumph
Books/Ligouri, ca.1997). Garcia Columbas also has a scholarly book onthe
subject.These two books are scholarly, but don't necessarily provide the
hisorical background you are looking for.  As for the Rule of Benedict,
there is more there than meets the eye: see Terrence Kardong's comments in
his Commentary and Translation (Liturgical Press, ca. 1995).

In fact, I'm not too sure how strong the historical foundations are.
Certainly (1) Benedict wanted his monks to spend a great deal of time
reading, (2) his goal of personal spiritual formation first of all, (3) and
people read slowly and meditatively (thoughtfully and/or with memorization)
in the (earlier?) Middle Ages.  Then the question arises: does a devout
reader, studying Rahner or the Bible, read any differently, even if they
are reading in conjunction with writing an article. We don't read just with
our heads, but the information and insight we get from reading such
material impacts our hearts and consciences.  Hence, I think there is some
sort of continuum here, which has little to do with speed and much more to
do with openness and personal commitment.  Lectio divina, then, was reading
conceived of as a foundational exercise for prayer and prayerful living.

One medieval author who does talk about reading is Pierre de Celle.  See
the selection of his works published by Cistercian Publications.

Hugh Feiss, Ascension Priory.