Re: Valery Rees' query about whether the marriage was real.

There has been an awful lot of work done on the late medieval marriage
ceremonies in Florence in particular.  Yes, it is possible to be married
by giving the bride a ring, without a priest.  That was an early phase of
contracting the marriage.  Also, afterward (at least in Florence) there
was the custom of the womenfolk of the (groom's ?) family presenting the
new bride with rings.  If you want bibliography on this, I have it packed
up in boxes at the moment.  Suffice it to say, that the marriage customs
where considerably different from today's.  There seems no doubt on the
point that she would have been actually married, even if it were only the
first phase of the process.  (Recall, for example, the legend of how the
Guelf/Ghibelline split occurred when a bride was gilted by the prospective
groom - G. Villani tells this I believe. Sorry - my citations are fuzzy
because I'm not by my books right now.)

Gloria Allaire