James R Ginther wrote:

> | > |
> | > Now there you go, again, thinking Canadians are just echoing our
> | > wonderful neighbours to the south. ;-)  In fact, a thanksgiving
> | > feast was celebrated in Newfoundland about some years before the
> | > Mayflower was even a gleam in a shipbuilder's eye (hmm does that
> | > analogy really work?).
> | >
> | Were the celebrants french (possibly Huguenot) or English?
>
> Tom:
>
> At the risk of getting into trouble by extending this non-medieval
> thread, let me say quickly that those visitors were English  (voyage
> of the Matthew and all that). BTW, France refused to solve the
> huegenot problem by shipping them off to New France, so the
> (in)habitants were mainly catholic (practising? hmm don't know -- ask
> Dennis).  This of course is all contingent on my bad memory about
> Canadian history (or should I say Newfoundland history since it
> didn't join the Federation until 1947 -- just before the Klingons did
>  ;-]).
>
> Now, in order to redeem myself for trangressing the chronological
> boundaries of this list, let me point out that the first european
> visitors to Newfoundland were in fact the Vikings.  They eventually
> left, and the remains of a settlement have been discovered
> and excavated on the east coast of the Island.
>
> Cheers
> Jim

> James R. Ginther
> Dept. of Theology and Religious Studies
> University of Leeds
> Leeds LS2 9JT
> E-mail:                           Phone: +44.113.233.6749
> [log in to unmask]             Fax: +44.113.233.3654
>                             -=*=-
>              http://www.leeds.ac.uk/trs/trs.html
> "Excellencior enim est scriptura in mente viva quam in
> pelle mortua" -Robert Grosseteste.

You have an intriguing web site, but the `hot links' to course
descriptions are all blocked. Is this deliberate?

While I have you, as it were, let me apologize for not having replied to
your invitation to contribute to the Festschrift for the late Fr Walter
Principe.  I should have loved to do so, but the invitation came when
life was more than usually chaotic, both because of a death in the
family and also because of preparations for the 900th anniversary of the
foundation of Citeaux.  And because I knew, with sinking heart, that I
will have no time to prepare anything on the schedule you propose.  I
apologize for not having written all this to you.  The chaos, as I said,
was thick and my hopes of convincing myself I could somehow find time
high.  Chaos is clearing; hopes still dashed.  I hope you come up with a
great volume, as WHP deserves.

Rozanne Elder