Further toward our discussion of a couple weeks backs about monks
undertaking pastoral duties, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any
scholarship which traces this development back to its beginnings.  Clearly
the earliest monks weren't obliged to preach. But by the Bede's time if
not earlier this appears to have changed; Bede himself certainly felt that
monks were charged with pastoral care, as did  Gregory the Great.  What
I'm unsure about is the figures before Gregory who also took this
position.

Also, I have forgotten whether this list is archived.  If it is, what is
the URL?

Best,
Scott