On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Darleen Pryds wrote:

> I'm especially interested to identify the church used at the end to depict
> St. Peter's in Rome, but am also curious about the town used to represent
> Assisi.  It looks Assisi-esque to me, but it does not seem to me to be Assisi.

Some people have already pointed towards the location of the film; but I
seem to remember one scene in front of the church in Rome that must have
been filmed on location in front of the Lateran Basilica. I think I
recognized the doors.

Why are you interested to identify the church as St Peter's in Rome, I
wonder? I would make more sense to identify the church the film
intended to represent as the Lateran Basilica, which after all was the
papal residence in the thirteenth century, and which is Rome's cathedral
proper. St Peter's is not. If I am not mistaken, St. Peter's was not used
until after the return of the popes from Avignon. But I'd be interested to
see what others think about this question.

Frans van Liere

Department of History
College of Charleston               0 Bee Street
Charleston SC 29424		    Charleston SC 29403
tel. (803) 953-1354                 (803) 723-4051