I'm not sure, but look at Hebrew law in the Scriptures on women committing
adultery who must ingest the phrase from the Scriptures concerning this in a
solution that is mixed with the dust of the Temple floor, is it? (Why Christ
is writing in the dust at the episode of the woman taken in adultery.) Sorry
about not finding for you the exact references. But I think this is the
clue. Dire physical effects follow if the woman is in sin.
My grandmother at the beginning of the Twentieth Century in Warwick refused
to be Churched. She couldn't see anything unclean about having her first
child, a son, in holy wedlock, and my father!

At 08.55 03/11/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm a new member on the list. I'm writing my dissertation at University of
>Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on the ritual of churching in medieval
>northern France. In addition to introducing myself I have a question I
>would like to post to the members. I am reading the registers of the
>ecclesiastical court at Rouen in the 15th century and have come across a
>Latin phrase I am not sure how to translate. The cases involve women who
>have given birth to children conceived outside of marriage. They have,
>nevertheless, been churched (and here's the phrase) pro litteras de
>soluto cum soluta. I already know that "soluto cum soluta" is used as a
>stock phrase for fornication. But I am wondering if anyone has any
>further insights? Thanks.
>Paula Rieder

____
Julia Bolton Holloway
via del Partigiano 16, Montebeni, 50014 FIESOLE, ITALY
http://members.aol.com/juliansite/Juliansite.htm

He said not, 'Thou shalt not be tempested, thou shalt not be travailed, thou
shalt not be diseased.' But he said, 'Thou shalt not be overcome'.
Julian of Norwich, Showings, Sloane 2499 Manuscript, fol. 49.