> >There's an especially fine one from St Mary's Abbey, York, I think now in
> >the York Museum where he is not only horned but carries the caduceus, the
> >rod twined with serpents.

>         It is not the caduceus -which would be a very odd motif for Moses-
> but an allusion to the brazen serpent, interpreted as a symbol of Christ's
> passion.
>
>         Carlos

there's no necessarily mutually exclusive relationship. wasn't the
caduceus an egyptian symbol of healing? one (obviously heretical) reading
of the mosaic tale is that moses regressed to egyptian idol-worship at
this point (which was why he wasn't allowed in the promised land).

as for the serpent as a symbol of xt's passion -- other than hanging on a
pole, what's the connection?

rlandes