> Alas, I no longer have access to the books to answer about the Greek. But a
>  long-standing tradition is also that bishops' mitres had their bases in
>  Moses' horns. I think this is in Ruth Melinkoff. Early illustrations show
>  Moses and bishops with Viking horned hats even. Then the bishops'
>  hats/mitres swiveled. You will see, especially in Lucca, Renaissance
>  paintings of High Priests in magnificent horned turbans. It is
interesting,
>  too, that the Popes' triple tiara, no longer worn since John XXIII's day,
>  came from Aaron's high priestly turban. This in line with the perception
of
>  St John Lateran as the Pope's Basilica and as the new Jerusalem Temple,
>  complete, once, with the loot from the Jerusalem Temple, given it by
>  Constantine from the Palatine, of ark and manna and Aaron's rod.

Julia,

If you read the description of the building of the Tabernacle in the Old
Testament, I believe there were horns on the corner of the Holy of Holies,
which the KJV calls the oracle.  It's interesting because horned animals and
animal horns play a big role in Sumerian art.  I think the horns were
orignally symbols of male virility.

pat sloane

pat sloane