>I have a query, on behalf of an Early-modernist colleague (i'm sure this
>does not debar the list from responding!): does anybody know if there is,
>or has ever been, a patron saint for mining or miners? The particular
>area and time of interest is C17-C18 England, but any response would be
>welcome...
>
>many thanks
>john arnold

In many discussions of Luther's conversion to monasticism during a horrible
thunderstorm, he is said to have prayed for help to the patron saint of
miners, St. Anne (Luther's father was a miner). I have no authority for this
assertation other than various reformation textbooks, but I thought it might
be of use to your colleague.

Cheers,

Kim Rivers
Kimberly Rivers 	Department of History
Assistant Professor	University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh