  Dr Simon Buckingham Shum writes

> The social processes by which a community comes to agree on a common
> technical vocabulary such as a metadata scheme, and the tools to facilitate
> its evolution by a distributed community, are of great interest to me --
> anyone got any case studies on how this works (or fails to)?

  In my own discipline Economics, there has been a prolongued hostility between
  people in favour of a central archive of preprints (a la Ginsparg) and
  supporters of a more decentralised approach. There now seems to be a
  convergence towards a flavour of the decentralised approach that allows for
  any number of archives of papers and metadata to coexist, with a special
  archive that only holds metadata on the other archives. A simple
  attribute:value metadata format (a la ROADS) supports that scheme. You may
  consult the web pages of this project at http://netec.mcc.ac.uk/RePEc, and
  the archives of the RePEc-admin mailing list on mailbase.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                               mailto:[log in to unmask]
                                             http://gretel.econ.surrey.ac.uk