David Bearman wrote:

> It is not clear why what you are calling formats, which I think are data
> validation rules, are relevant to resource discovery, though they clearly
> are important metadata for subsequent phases of the research process when
> the retrieved data is to be collated with other information.

Two examples of formats: date formats (eg ISO 8601) and name formats (eg
AACR2).  If we don't know how to interpret the string, we are hampered when
doing resource discovery.

> At the same
> time, the concept you are calling controlled vocabularies which consists of
> terminology on the one hand and classification systems on the other, is
> something more than a set of allowable data values, it reflects a world
> view. It is because the scheme reflects a worldview that we would want to
> discover resources with a limit set to those which have that worldview.
> I can't see any reason why measurement units per se are a scheme in this
> sense, though the use of particular schemes in the sense of
> classification/terminology to control values of measurement units reflects
> definite disciplinary constructs that could be important to retrieval (time
> measured in geological periods, space measured in astronomical units,
> weight measured in atomic weights).

As I understand the argument, all schemes are (from a DC point of view)
additional information which, if understood and used, may greatly improve
resource discovery.  If not understood, they may be ignored, resulting in
a greater or lesser degradation in the resource discovery process.

Right?

  Misha Wolf            Email: [log in to unmask]     85 Fleet Street
  Standards Manager     Voice: +44 171 542 6722           London EC4P 4AJ
  Reuters Limited       Fax  : +44 171 542 8314           UK
12th International Unicode Conference, 8-9 Apr 1998, Tokyo, www.unicode.org
   7th World Wide Web Conference, 14-18 Apr 1998, Brisbane, www7.conf.au

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.