It is not clear why what you are calling formats, which I think are data
validation rules, are relevant to resource discovery, though they clearly
are important metadata for subsequent phases of the research process when
the retrieved data is to be collated with other information. At the same
time, the concept you are calling controlled vocabularies which consists of
terminology on the one hand and classification systems on the other, is
something more than a set of allowable data values, it reflects a world
view. It is because the scheme reflects a worldview that we would want to
discover resources with a limit set to those which have that worldview.
I can't see any reason why measurement units per se are a scheme in this
sense, though the use of particular schemes in the sense of
classification/terminology to control values of measurement units reflects
definite disciplinary constructs that could be important to retrieval (time
measured in geological periods, space measured in astronomical units,
weight measured in atomic weights).

 At 07:29 PM 11/12/97 +0000, Misha Wolf wrote:
>Ron, Charles and I are working together to see if we can agree on a
>proposal for handling schemes in RDF.  Our current thoughts are:
>
>   1.  There appear to be at least three kinds of schemes relevant to
>       metadata:
>
>          -  controlled vocabularies (eg AAT, LCSH)
>
>          -  formats (eg ISO 8601, AACR2)
>
>          -  units (eg miles, kilometers)
>
>       The first two were mentioned in Stu's mail [1].  The third may not
>       be relevant to DC.
>
>   2.  We'd like to support both the following scenarios:
>
>          -  A scheme name is just a string, with no associated URL.  You
>             are free to associate it (somehow) with some external standard
>             or authority.
>
>          -  A scheme name has an associated URL, which may refer to some
>             external standard or authority.
>
>   3.  We are hoping to be able to use XML namespaces for the second
>       scenario, but haven't ironed out all the wrinkles.
>
>There are some things we still disagree on, but we're working on it :-)
>
>[1] http://weeble.lut.ac.uk/lists/meta2/1652.html

>  Misha Wolf            Email: [log in to unmask]     85 Fleet Street
>  Standards Manager     Voice: +44 171 542 6722           London EC4P 4AJ
>  Reuters Limited       Fax  : +44 171 542 8314           UK
>12th International Unicode Conference, 8-9 Apr 1998, Tokyo, www.unicode.org
>   7th World Wide Web Conference, 14-18 Apr 1998, Brisbane, www7.conf.au

>Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
>except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
>Reuters Ltd.

David Bearman, President
Archives & Museum Informatics
5501 Walnut St., Suite 203