Having just started the 2nd year of my PhD. its been a bit disturbing to
read the many messages on the forum recently regarding publishing
time-lags, refeering and so on. Whilst I can appreciate the problems which
the RAE causes for lecturers and researchers, does the whole process not
have a knock-on effect on postgrads like myself trying to publish for the
first time?

We're constantly told that publishing is an essntial prerequisite to
getting a job in the academy at the end of a PhD. The fact that journals
are apparently filling up even now in advance of the next RAE is
worrying enough, but there are other problems too, caused by the
'natural' tendency to wish to submit to the most 'popular' journals, and
by the fact that early completion is another CV 'booster'.Publishing for
the first time (something I'm just beginning to try to do) is, perhaps,
inevitably going to involve more time, more drafting, more setbacks etc?
And maybe there won't be any jobs going anyway.

Okay, I'll stop whinging there

John Wylie
Dept. of Geog.
Univ. of Bristol.