In reponse to Gerry Kearns:

My "Why work?" question was deliberately open-ended and asking for all
kinds of different responses (including of course, Gerry's). I don't think
I was asking for work to be abolished, rather I was implying that work
should be meaningful (hence the 'Why').

The next question is than: "What form should work take?". Dr Kearn's is
clearly advocating the paid job (that word itself has a very intersting
etymology) as something that still brings self-worth, dignity etc.

There are several problems with this:

1. In an age of flexibility, low wages, and fierce regional competition for
limited jobs, the dignity of labour (if it was ever more than a myth
promoted by the state) is fast vanishing to be replaced by cynicism and
bitterness within low-paid, unfulfilling and degrading jobs that is easily
the equal of the indignity of unemployment (See, for example, Jeremy
Rifkin's book: 'The End of Work').

2. This is a potentially very 'male' way of seeing work. I don't feel very
qualified to go into this aspect- maybe someone else could add something
here.

3. There is no chance of a return to 'full employment' in the traditional
sense, therefore we have to begin looking at how all different human
activities are viewed and valued.

I would suggest that it is realistic, that I am 'starting from here', in
suggesting that our ideas of work have to be broadened to include what
produces the needs of people and communities in every way. That includes
activites now too 'female' (housework, caring activities), too unprofitable
(street entertainment for example) and even illegal.

Developing community-centred economies would help (see Pearce, J. (1993):
'At the heart of the Community Economy'), as would supporting the numerous
informal economic initiatives now springing up all over the place. I'm sure
many on this forum know a great deal more about this area than me...

Sorry this has been a somewhat long and ramshackle posting.

David Wood.

PS: (to Chris Ray) I would love to see Ken Livingstone more influential (or
even leading) the Labour Party, but I think it's about as likely as
Margeret Thatcher becoming a member of the SWP! I'll stay with the Greens
for now.