[The following reached me on LT-ANTIQ, from which I infer that the
conference will not be limited to English medieval and Renaissance studies
exclusively. And please don't anybody tell me that an "internationally
recognized dinosaur collection" is not of direct interest for Italian
studies. The younger generation of italianist might well think that the
contrary is true. O.L.]

**********
Goodly Worlds: Places, Topoi, and Global Riches
**********

The Rocky Mountain Medieval and Renaissance Association invites papers for
its annual interdisciplinary conference to be held on 4-7 June 1998 at Big
Sky, Montana.  The conference offers an opportunity for scholars to explore
topics related to the study and teaching of  the Middle Ages and the
Renaissance.  This year's topic is "Goodly Worlds: Places, Topoi, and
Global Riches," with emphasis upon sites of medieval and Renaissance
knowledge and power -- geographical, rhetorical, economic, political,
scientific, artistic, and cultural.

The Big Sky Ski and Summer Resort is a luxury resort with golf, tennis,
swimming, mountain biking, and whitewater rafting.   The scenic resort is
just forty-five miles north of spectacular Yellowstone National Park, the
nation's oldest national park, with sites such as Old Faithful and the
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone; and forty-five miles south of the town of
Bozeman, home of the Museum of the Rockies, with its internationally
recognized dinosaur collection.

Send two copies of proposals for complete sessions to the conference
organizers by 1 December 1997.   Send two copies of papers or 250-word
abstracts by 28 February 1998.

Inquiries, proposals, papers, or abstracts should be addressed to:

Sharon A. Beehler and Sara Jayne Steen
Department of English
Montana State University
Bozeman, Montana, USA 59717-0230.
E-mail: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
Phone: (406) 994-3768
Fax: (406) 994-2422