I think the issue of where we publish and the problem with the journals is precicely
of relevance to those of us interested in critical histories of geographic thought and
contemporary issues of how knowledge is disseminated in the academy.  I think
the issue of how the production of knowledge is controlled by the RAE is terribly
interesting and worthy of discussion - it raises all kinds of questions about how we
judge the worth of our research.  Similar questions are raised by the formation of
ESRC thematic priorities which effectively decide which kinds of research are
valuable.  I don't think these are inappropriate issues to be raised on this forum.  It
shouldn't be about being more critical than thou.